husband fault - can i apply for spousal support

my soon to be ex husband got me discharge from my job of 16 years coz he is vindictive that i filed an order of protection against him. now i have no job and no income. he also filed for divorce 10 months ago, but he does not want to signed the divorce papers. can i apply for spousal support in family court during the divorce process. it's his fault that i lost my job and medical benefits.

1 answer  |  asked Jan 18, 2017 8:22 PM [EST]  |  applies to New York

Answers (1)

V Jonas Urba
If you were discharged from your job because of domestic violence or potential for domestic violence and you informed your employer that you were a victim they can not discharge you for that.

Apply for unemployment benefits immediately and inform the DOL that you are a victim of domestic violence and that you informed your employer but they fired you anyway if those are the facts. Be honest.

Your employer will likely re-hire you if they review the domestic violence laws in New York and if you were not fired for other reasons.

Your family support question should be raised with a family law or divorce lawyer. We handle labor and employment matters. If your unemployment benefits are challenged by your employer or if your employer refuses to give your job back when you call and remind them that you are a victim of domestic violence call a labor and employment lawyer.

posted by V Jonas Urba  |  Jan 19, 2017 08:30 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers