Company is providing false firing information

My husband worked as a truckdriver for a major fuel hauling corporation. He quit his position and went to work at a former company while applying to other trucking firms. He was denied employment which was very unusual until one company when asked why they would not hire said my husbands work record provided by the fuel hauling firm had reported to them that they fired him for "no show, no call off" and they would not consider him for "rehire". We have the phone records for that day he quit showing he called off prior to his start time and talked to his supervisor 4 times in a 3 hour period prior to him quitting. We have tried to get the company to change his work record, but have yet to hear from them. Do we have a case for defamation?

1 answer  |  asked Jul 19, 2003 10:53 PM [EST]  |  applies to Indiana

Answers (1)

Brenda Franklin Rodeheffer

It is hard to say. It seems that your husband quit without notice which is about equivalent to a "no show/no call". Even if your husband did call in, if it was not according to company procedure, they can deem it a "no show/no call". Probably the best thing to do is for your husband to either contact HR or have an attorney contact them to see if an agreement to give only neutral info can be worked out.

posted by Brenda Franklin Rodeheffer  |  Jul 21, 2003 11:25 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers