Information that we collect.
For non-attorney users who become a Member to post questions to Ask mel, we ask for your email address, an account password and the city and state in which you live. When you Ask mel a question, we collect the question and any answers from attorneys. We strongly recommend that you do not provide any personal identifying information in questions that you submit to Ask mel.
Server logs. When you visit My Employment Lawyer the server automatically records information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website. These Server Logs may include information such as your Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your visit and the identity of any cookies that were sent to your browser.
User communications. When you post a question to Ask mel or send any other communication to My Employment Lawyer, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, to respond to your requests and to improve our services. Your question will become part of the content on the site, together with any associated non-private answer. Again, we strongly recommend that you do not provide any personal identifying information in questions that you submit to Ask mel.
Newsletter requests. Should we choose to offer a newsletter, we would use the email address that you provided us to deliver newsletters to you. You will have the right to opt out of any newsletter delivery.
Affiliated sites - We offer some of our services in connection with other web sites. Personal information that you provide to those sites may be sent to My Employment Lawyer in order to deliver the service. We process such information in accordance with this Policy. The affiliated sites may have different privacy practices. We encourage you to read their privacy policies.
Third-party advertising (Google ads). We use third party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.
Links. My Employment Lawyer may gather information about which links have been followed on by visitors to My Employment Lawyer.
How we use information that we collect.
Choices for personal information
When you sign up for a particular service that requires registration, we ask you to provide certain Personal Information. You can decline to submit personal information to any of our services. In that case, however, My Employment Lawyer may not be able to provide those services to you. If you provide Personal Information and we use it in a manner different than the purpose for which it was collected, we will ask for your consent prior to such use.
My Employment Lawyer only shares Personal Information with other companies or individuals outside of My Employment Lawyer in the following limited circumstances:
- We have your consent. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive Personal Information.
- We provide information to our subsidiaries, affiliated companies or other trusted businesses or persons for the purpose of processing Personal Information on our behalf.
- We have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to
- satisfy any applicable law, regulation or Valid Legal Process
- enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof,
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or
- protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of My Employment Lawyer, its users or the public as required or permitted by law.
- We may share with third parties certain pieces of Aggregated, Non-personal Information, such as the number of users who clicked on a particular advertiser’s link or searched for a particular term, for example. Such information does not identify you individually.
We take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data.
Accessing and updating personal information
When you use My Employment Lawyer services, we make good faith efforts to provide you with access to your personal information either to correct this data if it is inaccurate or to delete such data at your request if it is not otherwise required to be retained by law or for legitimate business purposes. We ask individual users to identify themselves and the information that they want to access, correct or remove before processing such requests, and we may decline to process requests that we cannot authenticate