Is it wrong to attempt to obtain employment from a comapny that paid you severence pay years ago?

Approximately, 4 years ago, my husband signed a severence agreement with the company he worked for. Currently, this same company, has several open employment positions. We were curious if it would be considered wrong for him to apply for one of these positions? Or, by signing that agreement, my husband gave up that right as well?

1 answer  |  asked Nov 3, 2013 4:56 PM [EST]  |  applies to California

Answers (1)

Marilynn Mika Spencer
There is nothing morally "wrong" in doing so, but your husband must review the actual language of the settlement agreement to see if he agreed not to seek employment with the company in the future.** No attorney-client relationship is created based on this communication. Please consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible to better preserve your rights.**These comments are for information only and must not be taken as legal advice. The Spencer Law Firm has not analyzed the details of your potential claim. The Spencer Law Firm cannot and does not give legal advice based on contacts from web sites or e-mail, or based on partial information. The Spencer Law Firm will not take any action on your behalf unless you and The Spencer Law Firm sign a legal services agreement.All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your claim, you will lose the opportunity to pursue your case. Deadlines can be as short as just a few days. For referrals, you may contact the Lawyer Referral Service of the San Diego County Bar Association at (619) 231-8585, or the county bar association for your county. Also, you can find lists of plaintiffs employment attorneys at , , and .

posted by Marilynn Mika Spencer  |  Nov 3, 2013 5:44 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?