What is my recourse for non-payment of wages?

I have an employment contract with my employer (who is a start up company) that states my base salary will be increased effective 11-1-00. To date, January 19, 2001, I still have not been paid this money. Additionally, my company could not meet payroll on 1-15-01 and I was one of five people that did not receive any money for time worked. I had no prior notice of this fact, I was notified the day payroll was due. Current amount due to me is around $8,000 and counting. Do I have any recourse? Thank you.

1 answer  |  asked Mar 15, 2001 8:29 PM [EST]  |  applies to California

Answers (1)

Eve Chesbro
File a claim with the Labor Commission for unpaid

An available option for you, if you have a clear employment agreement on the terms of wages, is to file a claim with the Labor Commissioner. You can also seek the help of counsel who can pursue your claim against the employer.
Eve Chesbro

posted by Eve Chesbro  |  Feb 21, 2001 2:01 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm

more Virginia Employment Lawyers