Previously, i worked for an catering company in September of 2003 which was supposed to be off the books. However, to this day i still have not received payment nor or any of my phonecalls returned. My question is what do i have to do get my wages?

1 answer  |  asked Nov 17, 2003 11:52 AM [EST]  |  applies to Pennsylvania

Answers (1)

Christopher Ezold
Hire an attorney or complain to the Bureau of Labor Law Compliance

You have two basic methods of getting your wages. First, you can retain an attorney to pursue your rights. Second, you can file a complaint with the Pensylvania Bureau of Labor Law Compliance. The complaint form can be found here:

The Bureau of Labor Law Compliance will not charge you for investigating your complaint. However, their obligation is not to represent you, but to enforce the law. My experience has been that they will generally accept the employer's records regarding your hours worked. If you were "off the books" you may have a problem proving to the Board that you were employed at all. Therefore, you may be better served by hiring an attorney, who may be able to take the case on a contingent fee (where you don't pay the attorney unless the attorney collects your wages).

If you wish to discuss the matter further, feel free to call me to discuss.

/Christopher E. Ezold/
Nancy O'Mara Ezold, P.C.
401 City Line Avenue,
Suite 904
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
(610) 660-5585

posted by Christopher Ezold  |  Nov 17, 2003 4:02 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers