non-payment of wages

I worked for a medical office for a few days under a verbal aggreement. There have been many promises and excuses but I have not received my promised wages. Now the owner is not answering my calls or letters. What legal recourse do I have?

1 answer  |  asked Jul 21, 2003 12:51 PM [EST]  |  applies to New York

Answers (1)

David M. Lira
Employer REfuses to Pay for Time Worked

You have three option, largely depending on the amount of money involved:

1- If you are owed $600 or less, you can contact the New York State Department of Labor.

2- If you are owed I think it is $1,500 (the maximum limit of small claims), you can sue your former employer in Small Claims Court.

3- If the amount owed is more than the amounts noted above, you can sue your former employer for the wages. Depending on the amount, you would go to District Court (Suffolk or Nassau counties only) or Supreme Court.

Under the New York State law under which the employer is required to promptly pay wages, you might be able to get attorneys' fees, that is, if you win, your former employer gets to pay the fees of your attorney. So, if you are owed more than the small claims amount, it might be worthwhile contact an attorney to handle your case.

posted by David M. Lira  |  Jul 21, 2003 4:49 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?