Can I sue to recieve payment on a commission.

I was the sales rep for a large US based firm when we sold a multi million dollar software deal. The firm paid everyone involved with the account per their sales plan but they decided to short me on the amount due. Do I have recourse to sue them for the payment? I did electronically approve the compensation plan earlier that year that had a clause in it that they can change payment/territories, etc... Does that clause stop me from suing?

2 answers  |  asked Sep 8, 2011 10:13 AM [EST]  |  applies to Illinois

Answers (2)

Alejandro Caffarelli
If you are interested in scheduling an initial over the phone screening, please do not hesitate to contact me directly to arrange a date and time for a screening.

If you have any questions, or if you would like to schedule a consultation, I may be reached at (312) 540-1230.

posted by Alejandro Caffarelli  |  Sep 8, 2011 11:14 AM [EST]
John Otto
What was their excuse for shorting you? Did they change the compensation plan before or after you made the sale? I believe there is case law in Illinois that says even though the company had the right to change the compensation plan before you made the sale, once the sale has been completed, they can't retroactively change it to screw you out of your commission. You need to see a lawyer, though. If the proper notice is sent to the company, you can get attorneys' fees in addition to the amount they owe you.

posted by John Otto  |  Sep 8, 2011 10:39 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?