Missing last paycheck from a law office

My last paycheck from my employer was witheld for some unknown reason. When my boss fired me on 10/3 he told me that 10/5 would be my last day of employment. My wages for that week were never paid. What should I do? Also, this employer is an attorney? I've sent him a "Demand for Payment" and a "Second Request Demand for Payment", but no response. My dad will pay the legal fees if the judgements will pay him back.

1 answer  |  asked Oct 29, 2001 2:07 PM [EST]  |  applies to Ohio

Answers (1)

Neil Klingshirn
You can file a small claim under Ohio's wage payment law

Ohio law requires your employer to promptly pay your wages. If he does not, you could go to the Akron Municipal Court's Small Claims division and file suit to collect your wages. Base your claim on contract (He offered and I agreed to work for $X.-- per hour and thereafter worked Y hours for which I have not been paid) and Ohio's wage payment law. Here is a link to the wage payment law: http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/revisedcode/home3.cfm?GRDescription1=revised%20code&GRDescription2=title%2041&GRDescription3=&TextField=%3CJD%3A%224113%22%3ECHAPTER%204113%3A%20MISCELLANEOUS%20LABOR%20PROVISIONS&GRStructure1=4113&GRStructure2=

As you will see, you can ask for penalties under the wage payment law.

You do not need an attorney to pursue a matter in small claims.

Best regards,

Neil Klingshirn

posted by Neil Klingshirn  |  Oct 29, 2001 5:36 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Contact Neil Klingshirn

Neil Klingshirn
AV rated Super Lawyer and Employment Law Specialist
Independence, OH
Phone: 216-382-2500