Suspended? Fired ? Employer refuses to say.

My son was suspended by a major grocer after years of employment & soon after promotion and transfer to another store.He bought a package of an out of code product that was properly marked and discounted by his mgr. The next day he was suspended for 5 days; he's now being told he will be terminated. He was forced to sign a paper saying he wouldn't buy out of code products AFTER he was brought to the mgr.'s office and informed this was not legal. He has attempted to contact his union rep and the store mgr who both tell him they know nothing and the decision will come from HR whenever it comes! What can he do, if anything? I don't have a copy of his contract but can try to obtain one. Does he need legal representation?

1 answer  |  asked Oct 21, 2008 8:51 PM [EST]  |  applies to California

Answers (1)

George Allen
Hold Tight

If there is no decision yet, there is not much anyone can do for him now. First point of contact should be the Union. If the store disciplines him for this, it may be grievable, depending on the particulars.

posted by George Allen  |  Oct 22, 2008 11:16 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers