Is it legal in this state to just fire someone w/o any real explaination after 10yrs of employment?

I was employed for 10 yrs at a company that just recently fired me without warning. My attendance and workmenship is like no other in the entire company. I was the top salesman in the entire company for many years. There was no legitimate reason given to me for being fired and I was written up once in the decade of my employment. I have a mortgage and other bills that need to get paid. I havent been able to eat or sleep well since I was fired. I believe I was fired because of my race and/or religion because when you look at my 10yr history and compare it to all the other employees it is clear the I stand in a category of my own being that I strive to be a responsible adult who comes to work everyday and l dont go home until all my jobs are finished or under control, which is why they had promoted me to senior technician. Is it legal in this state to just fire someone without any real explaination?

1 answer  |  asked Jul 14, 2011 4:31 PM [EST]  |  applies to Florida

Answers (1)

Phyllis Towzey
Unfortunately it is legal to fire an employee with no explanation of the reason - Florida is what is called an "employment at will" state.

Of course it is NOT legal to fire you based on your race and/or religion. However, to prove a case for discrimination, you need something more than just a lack of explanation from the employer. Think about whether anything else has occurred that suggests your race or your religion were the issue? Have employees of your race or religion been treated unfairly by this employer in the past? Is there a pattern? Did a supervisor ever make a negative comment to you that seemed to be based in race or religious bias?

I would recommend you do done of two things: (1) consult an attorney to write a demand letter to the company raising the discrimination issue (this will cause the company or their counsel to at least identify a reason for your termination; or (2) go to the nearest EEOC office and file a charge of discrimination, which the employer will have to respond to.

The best approach, in my opinion, is to consult an attorney and start with a demand letter before filing formal charges. This will provoke a faster response. However, an attorney will likely charge you a fee, whereas you can file charges through the EEOC at no cost to you.

I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation, and I wish you the best.

posted by Phyllis Towzey  |  Jul 15, 2011 2:24 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers