How to proceed with nonpayment of a contract for work performed

I had a consulting job this summer and worked 43 hours. My contract stated I would perform marketing analysis tasks, which were not specified, gave no end date, did not outline specific deliverables, etc. and said I would be compensated an hourly rate. I conducted marketing surveys according to the format they asked me to use and turned them in when I could no longer collect additional data. They claim that I was not only "technically" late, but that the information I provided wasn't useful and they wouldn't be paying me for my time. I received a small stipend in exchange for my "efforts" that was less than 20% of the total for the hours I worked (and documented). Never was there feedback about when they were due or that there was any issue with the sample survey results I sent in. I think they are in breach of contract and I want to know how to proceed. I have not cashed the stipend as I do not want them to think I have accepted it. Please help. I'm a medical student and don't have many resources at the present time. I can give good karma! Thank you.

1 answer  |  asked Nov 10, 2008 10:18 PM [EST]  |  applies to California

Answers (1)

George Allen
Karma is Good

You don't say how much the amount owed is. If it is under $7500, consider filing in small claims court. It is unlikely that cashing the check they gave you would waive your claim for proper compensation, particularly in the absence of a restrictive clause on the check.

posted by George Allen  |  Nov 11, 2008 12:34 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers