i quit and hours cut from 5.97 to 5.15 is this legal

i quit my jobs because of difficulties with my manger. she didnt accept my notice of only 9 days. she would only take the full 14. she told me she was cutting my pay to 5.15 if i gave the notice. i couldnt give the full 14 because my second employer hired me on 10/20/2004 for night shift. my old employer wouldn't move me to day shift so i really couldn't make the full 14 days. i gave her the 9 in writing on 10/20/2004 and she said my pervious hours and hours after wards would be cut. i decided that i would not work for 5.15 an HR when i had been paid 5.97. my pay period went from 10/13/2004 until 10/26/2004. the pervious days before quitting that i had i worked were cut to 5.15 an hr. can she legally do that. she claims i signed a contract with the company it was my 1st job and she forced me into signing it and said i couldn't work without signing it. can she really cut the hours i had already worked at 5.97 because i quit.
thanks for your help Sarah wilson

2 answers  |  asked Nov 3, 2004 10:12 PM [EST]  |  applies to Georgia

Answers (2)

Adam Kielich
Like most employment law issues this question has a lot of details which might affect the answer to this situation. Most notably the state where work was performed would affect which state law may apply. The general rule is that an employer cannot change the rate of pay for work already performed. In some states, if not all states, an employer can unilaterally change your rate of pay for future work as long as you receive proper notice. You mention there may be some employment contract which could create different rules than what state or federal law requires. Best thing you could do in these situations is consult an employment attorney in your area and learn more about your options. For more info on Texas employment law see https://www.kielichlawfirm.com/employment-law/.

posted by Adam Kielich  |  Jan 30, 2022 11:40 AM [EST]
Brian Pastor
Hourly Pay

The answer to your question depends on many things, including what state you live in. I practice in Atlanta, Georgia and can only give you perspective from Georgia law which may well not be applicable to you if you live in another state. Generally - most employees are "at will" meaning that you can be fired with or without cause at any time. It also means, your employer can change your compensation package GOING FORWARD, upon notice to you, but cannot change it RETROACTIVELY. In your case, if you are in a state that is as Georgia, your employer cannot change your rate of pay for work you have already completed before the notice of rate change! Contact your state's Department of Labor to discuss your situation with them, or contact a lawyer in your city. Some states have statutes that provide attorney fees in employment wage claims. Good luck
Brian Pastor

posted by Brian Pastor  |  Nov 4, 2004 09:18 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?