How can I receive my final paycheck?

I recently left a company and I have yet to get my final paycheck. Their 1st excuse was since I did not go through my exit interview that it would be delayed 2 weeks.Well the 2 weeks have come and gone and all I got paid for was my week's worth of vacation time, they still owe me for 1 week of work.

1 answer  |  asked Mar 15, 2001 8:29 PM [EST]  |  applies to Illinois

Answers (1)

David L. Lee
Ask for your final pay by certified letter

In Illinois, under section 5 of the Wage Payment and Collection Act, "every employer shall pay the final compensation of separated employees in full, at the time of separation, if possible, but in no case later than the next regularly scheduled payday of such employee." This includes the monetary equivalent of all earned, but unused, vacation time. You can also request that your paycheck be mailed to you.

I advise that you send your employer a letter, certified mail, return receipt requested, demanding your paycheck immediately. If that doesn't work, try going to the Illinois Department of Labor, Wage Claims.

David Lee (Chicago)

posted by David L. Lee  |  Feb 19, 2001 6:40 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers