When should I receive my paycheck?

I recently quit my job before my 90 day probation. I had observed that the clinic was practicing many procedures not in regulation with the Dept of Health. eg. Allowing non-licensed personnel administering local anesthesia to patients for surgery. Not monitoring vital signs pre,during and post surgery. When addressed to employer (MD) she said; "If we did vital signs and they were abnormal or out of range then we can't do surgery". In other words we don't get the money cause we loose a surgical procedure. Majority of our patients are in the elderly population, so they are on many meds, and with many medical conditions that vitals should be monitored. On top of that we have staff coming high on substance. When addressed to office manager she just ignored it. I reported the clinic to the Department of health for investigation. Anyway, it has been a week and I have not received my last paycheck. What do I need to do to receive my check. I have also heard from former collegues that former employer has it in for me. Please advise. Thank you

1 answer  |  asked Jul 7, 2011 8:51 PM [EST]  |  applies to Florida

Answers (1)

Arthur Schofield
You should wait no more than 2 or 3 weeks for your final paycheck. When an employee leaves they are often taken off a normal payroll cycle which creates a delay in receiving the final paycheck. But, you are entitled to it and after 3 weeks passes you should seek counsel. There is a Florida statute which allows for attorney's fees and costs in obtaining unpaid wages.

You may also have some whistle-blower protections going forward. Should this employer interfer with your ability to obtain employment, you may have the ability to pursue a claim based on your prior objections to their practices.

It is also possible you could be entitled to some compensation based on your reporting of their actions to the Department. You will want to monitor the progress of that investigation. In some instances, those that report violations can be entitled to a portion of monies found to have been earned through illegal means.

posted by Arthur Schofield  |  Jul 8, 2011 05:34 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers