write up from employer

Do I have the right to ask for a copy of a write up or any information in my employee file?

1 answer  |  asked May 25, 2005 6:17 PM [EST]  |  applies to Ohio

Answers (1)

Neil Klingshirn
Your personnel file is company property.

You can certainly ask your employer for a copy of the contents of your personnel file, as well as any disciplinary action. Your employer does not, however, have an obligation to give it to you. It is considered the employer's property.

As a practical matter, many employers will allow employees to see the contents of their personnel file. Therefore, feel free to ask, but you will basically be stuck with the answer if the answer is "no."

Best regards,

Neil Klingshirn

posted by Neil Klingshirn  |  May 26, 2005 2:48 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Contact Neil Klingshirn

Neil Klingshirn
AV rated Super Lawyer and Employment Law Specialist
Independence, OH
Phone: 216-382-2500