when does the employer have the right to deny union repesentation.

If an employer wants to give someone a write up and he ask for his union rep does the employer have to get him union rep.or can the employer just give him the write up and be done with it .

1 answer  |  asked Jan 25, 2007 12:17 PM [EST]  |  applies to Ohio

Answers (1)

Neil Klingshirn
Your right to a union representative

An employer has the right to discipline employees for performance problems and rule violations. The fact that the employees are represented by a union does not change that right. However, if the union negotiated a procedure for discipline that allows the union to be involved in the discipline, then you need to follow the procedure in order not to violate the union agreement.

In other words, the answer to your question is within the collective bargaining agreement. If you do not have a collective bargaining agreement, then you probably do not have an obligation to wait until the union representative shows up.



posted by Neil Klingshirn  |  Jan 29, 2007 4:28 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Contact Neil Klingshirn

Neil Klingshirn
AV rated Super Lawyer and Employment Law Specialist
Independence, OH
Phone: 216-382-2500