wage payment

My husband owns a computer software consulting firm in Texas. He has a contractor at a profitable company in Dallas. This client has not paid his consulting company in 4 months, therefore, the contractor does not get paid. A contract was signed stating the rate and length of the contract. The client's reason is that they cannot find the purchase order to cut a check. Repeated calls from the consulting company to the client has done nothing. The contractor continues to go to work everyday and his work is excellent. He has also been vocal about not being paid. According to everything I've read this contractor is actually an employee; he is given direction and controled by the client.

Should my husband's consulting company file a claim with TWC? Or should the consultant file the claim? Any other ideas?

Thanks so much

1 answer  |  asked Mar 30, 2004 03:02 AM [EST]  |  applies to Texas

Answers (1)

Trey Henderson
money owed

The TWC only handles claims of employees that don't get paid. If your husband was a contractor and not an employee, the TWC would not handle the claim. He would need to get an attorney and sue for breach of contract.

posted by Trey Henderson  |  Mar 30, 2004 08:28 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm

more Virginia Employment Lawyers