im filing a lawsuit on my employer for min wage violation of 40hrs how much will i get

what is the percentage over what is actually due to you like say they owe me 300 in wages over a 4 month period and i go to court will i recieve more if so approxiamely how much

1 answer  |  asked Sep 4, 2013 09:08 AM [EST]  |  applies to Tennessee

Answers (1)

Neil Klingshirn
I cannot speak to Tennessee law, only to the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), which is the federal minimum wage and overtime law. Assuming that it applies to you and your employer, then the FLSA says that you are entitled to recover all of your wages, plus an amount equal to your unpaid wages, unless the employer can prove that it had a good faith and reasonable basis for not paying you the minimum wage that was due. In addition, if you hire an attorney to represent you, the court can order the employer to pay your attorney's fees.

If there are other employees who also did not receive their minimum wage payments and they are interested in collecting them, you may contact me at to let me know.

posted by Neil Klingshirn  |  Oct 14, 2013 2:54 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Contact Neil Klingshirn

Neil Klingshirn
AV rated Super Lawyer and Employment Law Specialist
Independence, OH
Phone: 216-382-2500