Unpaid Wages - Options

My ex-employer (who is the sole owner of the company) owes me for past wages of over $5,000. At the time, I was a salaried employee. My question is - Can I file a lien against his property without filing a lawsuit.

I have already submitted my claim to the IL Dept of Labor - but they have done nothing to help.

1 answer  |  asked Jul 22, 2004 12:02 PM [EST]  |  applies to Illinois

Answers (1)

Aaron Maduff
Unpaid Wages - Options

You need a judgment before you can file a lien against property. To do that you will have to file a claim in Court. However, you can serve him with a demand for wages under the Illinois Wage Payment and Collection Act, and if he should fail to pay you after a period of time, if you prevail in a lawsuit, he will also be responsible for reimbursing your attorney's fees. You should probably contact our office or one of the other fine employment lawyers this site.
Aaron Maduff

posted by Aaron Maduff  |  Jul 23, 2004 09:04 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?