denial of long term disability benefits because fired

I have an accepted worker's comp claim. My physician took me off work. I was paid total temporary disability payments through comp. The company has a benefits program that pays 100% of salary for 8 weeks and 60% of salary for 5 weeks. After the 13 weeks, I had a purchased longterm disability plan that should have kicked in paying 60% of my salary. the policy is self funded by the company and adminstered by the company. The company denied me all salary continuation benefits. i asked my doctor to return me to work and he returned me to light duty with many restrictions. He noted this was a TRIAL of return to work. On the morning of the 6th day of return to work I was fired, July 2. On the same day they reversed their denial of salary continuation and long term disability benefits and sent me a check for the past due money. But, they terminated my long term disability policy because I was fired. My physician was on vacation, and I could not get into see him until July 17. He deemed me unable to work at that time. Also, on July 11 I was seen by a specialist who also reported I was unable to work. The comp carrier (who is my employer as well) denied further comp payments since I had returned to work for 5 days, even though it was a trial and I had failed the trial. I believe I should be entitled to the long term disability payments, a policy I paid $1200 a year for, and had carried for 6 years before using. The manual states that the policy will be terminated if the employee is terminated, but I was still under physician's care when they terminated me. Is there any way I can get the LTD benefits reinstated due to the fact I was still in the same disability when they fired me?

1 answer  |  asked Jul 20, 2001 11:19 PM [EST]  |  applies to California

Answers (1)

Janet M. Koehn

it sounds like your ltd benefit is part of what's known as an "erisa-qualified plan". companies with such benefit plans are exempt from state law requirements. you need to see an erisa law specialist. the only one i know of in southern california is ron dean, 310-459-1636.
good luck
janet koehn

posted by Janet M. Koehn  |  Jul 21, 2001 08:44 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers