Wronfully Terminated and no Union help, Iranian U.S. citizen

My wife is from Iran. She is 47 years old and a U.S. citizen. She was also a Union member. She was fired from her company after two years for using up her occurences alloted for the year. She had been sick throughout the year at different times. The last time I had to pick her up at work in a wheelchair. She was fired for violating company policy of exceeding her occurances. The Unemployment Commission sided with her two times agreeing she was wongfully terminated. I have 15 Pages of documentation to back up the claim. Her union filed a grievance, but made little effort to fight her case. She was told that due to "security" reasons she was not allowed on company property for the grievance meeting. Her union handbook states she is to be "present at all steps of the process". Because she could not be present the informaton never got to the company and she was told the process was over. How do you fle a grievance on a union?

2 answers  |  asked Aug 29, 2002 7:52 PM [EST]  |  applies to Texas

Answers (2)

Margaret A. Harris
See a Lawyer

I agree with Trey, and advise you to consult with a Dallas-area attorney who practices employment discrimination law. There are several identified in this web site, and others at www.nela.org. A good site to understand your rights is www.workplacefairness.org. A lawyer might be able to help you more quickly than the EEOC, but if you cannot afford a consultation, then at least go to the EEOC. Good luck. We are unfortunately seeing more and more discrimination against people of Middle Eastern and Southern Asian origin.

posted by Margaret A. Harris  |  Aug 30, 2002 10:07 AM [EST]
Trey Henderson

Your wife should consult a local employment/labor attorney. If the union contract was violated and the union won't help, she can file suit against the company and the union. You might also want to look into potential claims under the FMLA and ADA.

posted by Trey Henderson  |  Aug 29, 2002 7:58 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?