We are union and we have a contract ...But

The Union will not uphold the contract. The Contract states,"The schedule cannot be changed w/o the employees' permission. Our company is changing schedules, policy, such as time-off, and hours. We all want to walk out! But we work with MR/DD and we cannot do this to them. What can we do to make our union fight for our rights? We called our union rep.
he will not return our calls, and our Big Boss has told us that our union O.K.'d these changes. How can a union just change our contract w/o asking us first.
US refers to all employees at a group home.

2 answers  |  asked Mar 18, 2011 05:12 AM [EST]  |  applies to Ohio

Answers (2)

Neil Klingshirn
When a union fails to protect the rights of its members, the member can go to SERB and file an unfair labor practice (ULP) charge alleging a breach of the union's duty of fair representation to that employee. Here is an article describing that right and the process for filing a ULP:


posted by Neil Klingshirn  |  Mar 18, 2011 07:13 AM [EST]
David Neel
I assume you work for the the State of Ohio or a political subdivision thereof. No, you cannot walk out, but the Union cannot fail to protect employees' rights.

You indicate that the Union claims it OK'd the schedule changes. Did it? And if it did, did it do so in accordance with its Constitution, by-laws and with the bargaining agreement?

You have potential remedies. You need to contact a lawyer to discuss the matter further. You can find one at oelasmart.net.

posted by David Neel  |  Mar 18, 2011 06:55 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Contact Neil Klingshirn

Neil Klingshirn
AV rated Super Lawyer and Employment Law Specialist
Independence, OH
Phone: 216-382-2500