Should I file an appeal and file with State personnel review board?

My unemployement was denied. I was terminated. Company stated I did not follow agency protocols and procedures but are unable or unwilling to tell me what procedures I have violated. I desperated need help. Have a local attorney but he doesn't seem to have the answers. Should I file an appeal? I have worked for company for 10 plus years with no write up and good evaluations.

1 answer  |  asked Jan 30, 2007 07:49 AM [EST]  |  applies to Ohio

Answers (1)

Neil Klingshirn
Appeal your unemployment and exhaust any appeal to the State Board

You should always appeal any denial of an unemployment claim because you are entitled to a hearing on the denial of a claim. You can get a copy of your unemployment file beforehand to discover what your employer is claiming as the grounds for your discharge and then prepare a defense to that claim.

You may have a right to appeal to the State Personnel Board of Review (SPBR) if you are a public employee in the classified civil service. If so, and if you believe that you were terminated without just cause, you should probably appeal your termination to SPBR. Normally you have a very short period of time (say a week to 30 days) to make the appeal, so do not delay.

Due to the lack of detail in your question I cannot give you a more specific answer and caution you that this is not legal advise. If you would like to get specific legal advise, please call Jenny at 330.665.5445, ext. 0 to schedule a consultation (see policy below).

Best regards,

Neil Klingshirn

posted by Neil Klingshirn  |  Jan 30, 2007 10:35 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Contact Neil Klingshirn

Neil Klingshirn
AV rated Super Lawyer and Employment Law Specialist
Independence, OH
Phone: 216-382-2500