Employment terminated for supposed HIPPA violation. Can I sue for wrongful termination?

2 postings on Facebook page led to allegations of HIPPA violation. I have documents showing I did not violate HIPPA 18 Identifiers or PHI. Ex-employer blocking IDES unemployment pay. Have appealed to BOR and awaiting word. I did have legal council via IDES.
I was employed with a private hospital and have been unable to find gainful employment since my termination. I'm 62 yr old. Living off limited IRA.

1 answer  |  asked Feb 20, 2015 10:18 AM [EST]  |  applies to Illinois

Answers (1)

Anthony Cameron
You don't say whether you have counsel for your IDES appeal and you are already at the third stage. You don't say whether you worked for a governmental body or a private one. Most Institutional employers and their in house lawyers do not understand HIPAA and overreact to anything they consider a leak.

Your priority should be to find counsel to review your BOR appeal and possibly file an amended one. I have never seen a lay person file an effective BOR appeal.

Next, you need to discuss the details with a skilled employee rights lawyer in your area. I think you are near metro east so use this board to find a good one.

posted by Anthony Cameron  |  Feb 20, 2015 11:11 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers