My employer (hospital) just made me aware that my hourly rate was higher, and that payroll did not change my salary when I transferred to another department for more pay. Does my employer have to pay me retroactively for two years.

My employer (NJ hospital) made an error on my hourly rate for the past two years. I was being paid less than I should have. My employer said I will not get the retroactive pay correction. Is this true?

1 answer  |  asked Sep 12, 2017 11:40 AM [EST]  |  applies to New Jersey

Answers (1)

Richard Yaskin
When an underpayment of wages occurs within the initial two year statute of limitations, many employers will correct the error in the next payroll period after the error’s discovery. If they do not as in your case, you could first file a complaint with the federal or New Jersey Wage and Hour Division under New Jersey's Wage Payment Act.

You may complete the filing Claim form online (through the NJ Dept. of Labor and Workforce Development) and, if you wish, may choose to be represented by an attorney at the hearing before a wage referee.



Law Offices of Richard E. Yaskin, P.C.
1040 Kings Highway N., Suite 302
Cherry Hill, NJ 08034
856-667-7570; 856-667-7573 - fax

posted by Richard Yaskin  |  Sep 12, 2017 11:53 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers