Can I get severence if I'm not fired, but ask to leave instead?

My employer is unbearable. He is the worst manager I've ever had. I've reported him to HR on two different occasions, due to his inability to manage in a professional manner. I've been with my current company 9 years and don't want to just quit. The company usually gives severence to employees who are fired (a weeks pay for each year they've worked, 9 weeks for me), but I don't want to go that route either but I want that severence. Is there a way that I can ask them to just "let me go with severence" and i'll leave without any legal action? Is there such a thing?

1 answer  |  asked Jul 24, 2001 3:44 PM [EST]  |  applies to California

Answers (1)

Abraham Goldman

It is always a negotiable item. You might try asking for an interview with the top HR person, and tell them you will need to go on worker's comp stress unless they help you out with this. It might work.
Other than being a bad manager, do you feel you are being "constructively discharged" because of something illegal going on, or against public policy, or some form of discrimination, retaliation or harassment? If so, then there might be something more involved.

Please feel free to contact my office if you need help on any aspect of this, including negotiating a severance.

Abraham Goldman
800 945 9446

posted by Abraham Goldman  |  Jul 24, 2001 4:18 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers