Is it retaliation if I reported harrassment against a manager & now he is trying to get me fired?

One of the managers, on 2 occasions, verbally went off on me with insults and extremely rude name calling. He told me I need to be on meds & ridiculed my single status saying it was due to me being a b***h. He tampered with my personal vehicle mirrors & when I told him he could've got me in a wreck & not do it again, he laughed it off, told a board member what he did and then did it 2 more times after. I reported him to the GM & he was spoken to. Now he's telling my coworkers & friends that he's going to try & get me fired & if that doesn't work, he'll do whatever he can to make sure I never get a raise or move up in the company.

2 answers  |  asked Jul 30, 2013 9:04 PM [EST]  |  applies to Florida

Answers (2)

Phyllis Towzey
From what you describe, this appears to be both retaliation and also a hostile work environment under Title VII, since it is unlawful to discriminate against an employee based on their marital status. You should consult with an employment lawyer to determine the next step. Meanwhile, keep notes of everything that happens at work (incident or comment, date, time, was anyone else present) and check your HR manual to see if there is a reporting procedure in place. It may be appropriate to file charges with the EEOC.

posted by Phyllis Towzey  |  Jul 31, 2013 07:51 AM [EST]
Arthur Schofield
It is possible. Not all forms of retaliation are actionable. If you complain about harassment or discrimination that violates, or you believe violates, the law and you suffer an adverse consequence as a result, then you may very well have a claim. Also, the laws probhiting retaliation do not apply to all employers so more would need to be known about your employer. From the facts you have provided, I could not comment with any great specificity. If you wish, contat my assistant, Renae, to see if there is something we can do to assist.

posted by Arthur Schofield  |  Jul 31, 2013 07:49 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?