How do I get the money I was supposed to receive for training from a previous employer?

I was supposed to be trained at a restaurant but never was. My trainer ignored me and refused to train me for reasons unbeknownst to me. After three days one of the managers let me go because he thought I didn't have enough experience due to their lacking training program. I trained for fourteen hours and was supposed to be getting minimum wage. I never received a check. I have called and left messages several times and they have not responded. How do I get the money they owe me?

1 answer  |  asked Oct 23, 2009 7:46 PM [EST]  |  applies to Ohio

Answers (1)

Bruce Elfvin
Minimum wage claims are payable for training time and even if they let you go the employer will owe for the time. As a technical matter the employer will owe the amount unlawfully withheld and an equal amount as liquidated damages and any attorney fees and costs incurred to collect the amount due. YOu can wish to see an employment attorney near to discuss this as there are also companion state law claims. You can select an employment attorney near you at

Regards, Bruce Elfvin

posted by Bruce Elfvin  |  Oct 26, 2009 1:41 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers