Employer overpaid me after I ended employment. They have asked for that money back, but use a 3rd party payroll company. Should I contact payroll company to see if previous employer has already been reimbursed for payroll company's mistake, before I start

Company overpaid me after I quit, without me realizing. They have asked for money back, I have agreed to payment plan, because money was spent. However, they use a 3rd party payroll company, that they are claiming is at fault for this. Before I start repaying previous employer, would it be in my best interest to inquire with payroll company about whether or not previous employer has some sort of reimbursement contract with them? I will pay, but if my previous employer has already been reimbursed for this payroll company's mistake, then it's not my previous employer I owe. Let me say that I am willing to pay everything back, and I know that money is not mine to keep, but since it's a new calender year and this occurred at the end of the last, it is going to affect my taxes. What should I do?

1 answer  |  asked Jan 1, 2018 2:08 PM [EST]  |  applies to Ohio

Answers (1)

David Neel
Of course, make inquiry and get as much information as possible in order to make an informed decision.

posted by David Neel  |  Jan 2, 2018 09:00 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers