How can I receive unpaid wages from an employer?

I live in Aurora, IL but I worked for a tutoring company as the "site coordinator". The company is based out of Florida. I set up the operation for them in Aurora, IL. I have emails documenting my pay and the hours that I've worked. I set up all the logistics to get the program running in the schools, but when it came time to pay...they refused to pay me for the hourly amount they offered me in writing. They wanted to NOW pay me a lessor amount...the lessor amount I didn't agree to. They have not paid me a dime of the 3800 they owe me (for work done the month of January 2011). I resigned, but the program is up and running with the employees and all the logistics I SET UP. Everyone is receiving paychecks BUT ME. I have contacted them on serveral occassions, just to get the run around or no answers as to my pay. This is very upsetting...because if it wasn't for me...NO ONE would be getting paid...tutors, caterer or company. What recourse do I have...Did I have to settle for the offer they presented me? I have a form to fill out to send to the Labor Union...if you can't assist... I will go that route. Thanks for your time and response.

2 answers  |  asked Mar 18, 2011 10:18 AM [EST]  |  applies to Illinois

Answers (2)

John Otto
You can do two things. 1.) File a complaint with the Illinois Department of
Labor. It won't cost anything but it will take a while. I think they do a good job if you are willing to wait. 2.) You can make a demand in writing under the Illinois Wage Collection Act by certified mail. If they don't pay within 30 days, you can file a suit and they will have to pay your costs and attorney fees.

posted by John Otto  |  Mar 21, 2011 08:38 AM [EST]
Alejandro Caffarelli
If you are interested in scheduling an initial over the phone screening, please do not hesitate to call us and arrange a date and time for a screening.

If you have any questions, or if you would like to schedule a consultation, I may be reached at (312) 540-1230.

Please reference the AskMel inquiry when calling.


posted by Alejandro Caffarelli  |  Mar 18, 2011 12:42 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers