Does not want to pay and fired when kept asking for money owed

I worked as a manager for a new business, I helped them opened the store and within the first months I was not getting paid until "It picked up" but they kept giving me the run around, they started paying me 3 months after and I began to press hard for my money, they brought in another manager and got rid of me. I have an employment letter stating wgaes and start date, I also sent them a notarized detailed memo outlining the amount owe me, which is about $8,000. I have not received anything from them, other than my last check. How do I go about in filing a claim against them, I havent found a job and obviusly do not have money for legal help. Do I have a case??? Can I file this on my own???

1 answer  |  asked Sep 19, 2011 5:16 PM [EST]  |  applies to Ohio

Answers (1)

Bruce Elfvin
You need to speak to an employment attorney near you to determine whether this also violates state and/or federal minimum wage and overtime laws. It is highly unlikely in a start up that you were performing as an "exempt" employee for most of the time. You have the contract letter, but a minimum wage and overtime claim is a better claim.

You can select an employment lawyer near you at

posted by Bruce Elfvin  |  Sep 20, 2011 06:08 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers