Can employer (a government entity) change rate of pay and still require my daughter to do same work?

My daughter and a couple of her friends were hired by the mayor of a local village at $8 per hour. At the March meeting, the Village Board decided to raise the pay to $15/hour effective May 1. This is in the minutes and has been notarized. Now, at the last meeting on May 11, the Board wants to rescind that decision and pay them $8/hour. Can they do that since the girls/guys will be doing the same work?

1 answer  |  asked May 14, 2010 06:25 AM [EST]  |  applies to Illinois

Answers (1)

John Otto
Is your daughter covered by a collective bargaining agreement? Does she have some other kind of contract? If not, she is an at will employee, just the same as a non-governmental employee. I see no reason the Village could not change her rate of pay or her duties for work she is to perform in the future, either up or down. The theory is that if she isn't satisfied, she can find another job, although in this economy the theory isn't supported by the practical facts.

posted by John Otto  |  May 14, 2010 07:53 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers