Punitive and Compensatory damages of Public Entity

I am researching what one can sue a local entity (Government) for when they are wrongfully terminated pursuant to whistleblower law & violation of public policy. Can one sue for punitive, nominal, compensatory damages? If so can you direct me to the law(s) and the ratios.

1 answer  |  asked Nov 19, 2007 1:39 PM [EST]  |  applies to California

Answers (1)

Steven Pingel
Public Entity

You can sue individual local govt officers, sometimes, for punitive damages, but not the entity itself. You can sue the entity itself for compensatory (economic damages, emotional distress) damages.

Feel free to email or call me if you want to consult. info@pingellaw.com, www.pingellaw.com

posted by Steven Pingel  |  Nov 19, 2007 2:00 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers