I was fired when I complained to a board member and also to my supervisor about payroll being inconsistant and even with non - negotionabe funds on a few occasions

2 answers  |  asked Jul 15, 2001 10:11 PM [EST]  |  applies to California

Answers (2)

Abraham Goldman

There looks like a good chance you have a case, but it needs more information to tell for sure, and what kind of case it might be.

Do you work for a private company, or the government?

Were you complaining about your own paycheck, or what was going on in general?

Either way, you may have a "whistleblower" type of case....there are different laws involved, but the basic idea applies pretty much the same to private companies as the government: they can't retaliate against someone who complains the law is not being followed.

It is important for you to be very proactive now if you want to protect yourself....all possible favorable witnesses must be contacted right away before memories fade or change. Also, keep tight hold on all important documents.

I have 24 years of experience in this area. Please feel free to call or email for a free initial consultation & a copy of my practice resume.

Abraham Goldman
800 945 9446

posted by Abraham Goldman  |  Jul 16, 2001 1:21 PM [EST]
Janet M. Koehn
what your claims may be

if what you complained about was merely a violation of accounting rules, you probably do not have a tort claim against your company. if what you complained about is a violation of laws, or of regulations governing the accounting of funds from public sources, you may have a claim for wrongful termination in violation of public policy. you should talk to an attorney experienced in employment law.
janet m. koehn

posted by Janet M. Koehn  |  Jul 16, 2001 10:23 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?