What is the fastest way to stop retaliation?

retaliation for being witness in EEO, filing EEO in past, witness to supervisor complaint, document witness to complaint process, possible age discrimination, possible female discrimination, health discrimination, being trained by inmates in CA women’s prison, harrassment from supervisor caused panic attack

1 answer  |  asked Oct 19, 2012 07:19 AM [EST]  |  applies to California

Answers (1)

Marilynn Mika Spencer
There is no "fastest way" to do anything where the law is concerned. Legal actions, and therefore legal advice, is always fashioned to apply to a specific set of facts. We would need to know so much more to provide any meaningful guidance. Even then, there are a variety of procedures and strategies which might be helpful but which provide a different potential result. And there are always scores of variables that no one can predict or control, including the employer's response, which agency personnel is assigned to investigate, which judge is assigned, opposing counsel, and more. There is no shortcut.

Because you used the term "EEO," I suspect you are employed by the federal government. If this is so, there is a palette of different considerations and some additional ones. One thing to know is that all deadlines in the federal sector EEO process are very, very short. Some are as short as 20 days.

No one should go through this kind of case alone. Most discrimination attorneys represent clients on a contingency fee basis, which means the attorney's fees come from the final recovery. An individual is almost always better off with an attorney, and fares better financially even with a portion of the recovery going to the attorney.

To find a plaintiffs employment attorney in California, please go to the web site of the California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA). CELA is the largest and most influential bar association in the state for attorneys who represent working people. The web site is www.cela.org. Click on "Find a CELA Member" and you can search by location and practice area.

If you are a federal sector employee, please see my guide to the EEO complaint process for federal government employees: http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/summary-of-federal-employees-eeo-discrimination-complaint-process?published=true.

posted by Marilynn Mika Spencer  |  Oct 19, 2012 1:11 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers