UI taxes taken out of my severance. Can I file a new claim?

My severance package was paid by out over 6 months as a payroll check and had UI insurance taxes taken. My question is: Considering that my initial claim for UI benefits was based on prior work and since going forward I was paying UI taxes, do I qualify to submit a new claim if I am still unemployed?

1 answer  |  asked Jan 20, 2011 07:32 AM [EST]  |  applies to Pennsylvania

Answers (1)

Christopher Ezold
Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania or Federal law apply, unless otherwise specified.

That being said, paying UC taxes out of a severance payment does not qualify you for another 26 weeks of severance. You should, however, ensure that you are automatically filed for extended benefits if you qualify for them at the end of 26 weeks if you are still unemployed.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me at the below address(es) or number.

/Christopher E. Ezold/
Chair of the Board,
Magellan Leadership Group

The Ezold Law Firm, P.C.
One Belmont Avenue,
Suite 501
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
(610) 660-5585

posted by Christopher Ezold  |  Jan 20, 2011 08:28 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers