I work for a "big" company. I turned in a deposit which is a daily routine for my job and left for the weekend. When I returned to work my boss told me the deposit was short and I had to pay the money back each week out of my check. I never received written notification, as I was supposed to and the company began withholdings. I spoke with a lawyer who wrote a letter to the company stating that they were breaking the law and to return my money and any further withholdings and not to take retaliation against me(in brief). I hand delievered letter and 2 days after my boss read it they fired me saying I was not trustworthy. I have consulted back with a lawyer he said I have been screwed majorly but he did not handle retaliation cases. No income and trying to find a lawyer is hard. Do I have a case or should I just give up and they have further ruined my job security for future positions.

1 answer  |  asked Aug 14, 2003 6:40 PM [EST]  |  applies to North Carolina

Answers (1)

Reagan Weaver

You may have a case under NC's Retaliatory Employment Discrimination Act (REDA). The NC Dept of Labor can take a complaint from you. In some instances they will actually sue for you, but it will need to be a strong case. Try them at 919.807.2823.

Since your integrity has been questioned, if you can afford to have a polygraph done, assuming the result is in your favor, it might succeed in making the company reconsider its action.

posted by Reagan Weaver  |  Aug 15, 2003 10:22 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers