Relocation expenses repayment

I moved up to Nanticoke for a job with a company, They paid for movers to pack and move my household goods.I was put up in a hotel at company expense for 60 days. I was terminated and now the company wants me to repay those expenses. I signed a paper saying that i would repay if i left voluntarily. Do i have to pay them any all or portion of those expenses since i was terminated by them?

2 answers  |  asked Dec 1, 2010 2:46 PM [EST]  |  applies to Pennsylvania

Answers (2)

Scott Leah
If the agreement states that you only have to repay for voluntariy termination, and you were involuntarily terminated, you should not have to repay those expenses. There are two important things here.

First, the language of the contract. If it is clear that repayment is only for voluntary termination, then that is the only circumstance where they can require repayment.

However, you need to read the contract carefully. Such relocation agreements typically also require repayment where termination was for willful misconduct (or similar language).

Second, what the circumstances of your termination were. Is is clear that the termiantion was involuntary? Can they make a willful misconduct argument (if the contract provides for that)?

posted by Scott Leah  |  Dec 1, 2010 2:53 PM [EST]
Christopher Ezold
Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania or Federal law apply, unless otherwise specified.

That being said, if you are terminated without cause, and the contract states you'll repay moving costs if you leave voluntarily, I do not see any legal claim that the company has against you for the moving costs. I would have to see the contract language to be sure, but it appears that you have no obligation to repay, and the company is overreaching.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me at the below address(es) or number.

/Christopher E. Ezold/
The Ezold Law Firm, P.C.
One Belmont Avenue,
Suite 501
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
(610) 660-5585

posted by Christopher Ezold  |  Dec 1, 2010 2:50 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?