I walked out of my job and quit, can my employer cut my pay to minimum wage! I did not give notice!

I was having issues at work with my pay and receiving bonus that was due to me! I left my job without a notice. I spoke to manager and told her I was leaving. Went to get my check and it's down to minimum wage! Are they allowed to do that?

1 answer  |  asked Apr 17, 2015 09:10 AM [EST]  |  applies to Florida

Answers (1)

Phyllis Towzey
Generally a company cannot retroactively change your rate of pay. However, they could reduce your last paycheck as you describe if the company had a written policy in place that stated that if an employee failed to give a specific notice they would be paid only minimum wage for their last paycheck. Of course, if you have a written employment agreement, then what is in that document would control.

posted by Phyllis Towzey  |  Apr 17, 2015 09:21 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm

more Virginia Employment Lawyers