Do we have an discimination case?

I was working at a retail store for 6 yrs & I was a supervisor there for almost 2 yrs. Before I quit, I notice there was major differences in the pay rates. I felt like it was unfair but I didnt say anything until it was time for my raise. When it was time for my yearly raise, I was told I could only receive four percent but A white male received a larger raise directly after I was told that was the most I could receive. Furthermore, he had only been with the company for three months. After a few other racial incidents I decided to leave. Currently, I have a cousin who works there still & he trained new employees from over seas who makes one dollar more than him. He confronted them about this matter & a week later he was fired. What can be done?

2 answers  |  asked May 27, 2010 6:00 PM [EST]  |  applies to Illinois

Answers (2)

Alejandro Caffarelli
If you are interested in speaking with an attorney, please do not hesitate to contact my assistant directly to arrange a date and time for a free over the phone screening.

If you have any questions, or if you would like to schedule a screening, She may be reached at (312) 540-1230

posted by Alejandro Caffarelli  |  May 28, 2010 07:28 AM [EST]
John Otto
You can file a charge of discrimination with the Illinois Department of Human Rights and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Filing with the Illinois Department automatically files with the EEOC. It sounds like you may have grounds for charging sex and race discrimination.

posted by John Otto  |  May 27, 2010 6:48 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?