Commission only employee

I would like to hire a few commission only employees. Can I hire them as exempt or do I need to hire them as non-exempt and pay overtime? For the non-exempt answer, how would I calculate the overtime if they only get paid commissions.

1 answer  |  asked Sep 30, 2005 6:08 PM [EST]  |  applies to California

Answers (1)

Janet M. Koehn
yes, you need to pay

rocklin, your question indicates you are an employer, not an employee, and you want free advice as to how to avoid paying regular wages to your employees. if you are in a business that has salespeople, you need to spend the money necessary to have proper legal advice, from a management-side employment lawyer, or you need to seek advice from an employment benefits company, for which you should be paying as well.
in addition, your question is far too incomplete to provide proper legal advice. the wage and hour laws of california are quite strict, and there are many factors to consider when determining what type of wage payment arrangements are legal.
pay a lawyer or company to advise you.
janet m. koehn
ventura ca

posted by Janet M. Koehn  |  Oct 1, 2005 02:34 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?