Can an employer reduce your hours /salary after 10 years of employment

Hi There, Can an employer reduce your hours /salary after 10 years of employment to a part-time without notice.

1 answer  |  asked Jul 24, 2018 09:33 AM [EST]  |  applies to New York

Answers (1)

V Jonas Urba
Barring civil service tenure, a collective bargaining agreement, or a private term of employment contract, usually yes. Unless they were retaliating against you for requesting FMLA, an accommodation under the ADA, regarded or perceived you as disabled, regarded you as too old by comments or how they treat workers over 40, and a few other possible scenarios.

It's probably a sign that you should very confidentially look for a new job, then once you secure one, hopefully in writing, provide your 2 week notice and move on. Do not say bad things about your employer or risk breaching your duty of loyalty to your employer. Good luck!

posted by V Jonas Urba  |  Jul 24, 2018 10:28 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers