Can I lose my severance package if I request a wording change?

I have be let go from my job and offered a severance package that requires signing a document. I understand that if I send a counter offer, the company no longer is obligated to honor their original severance offer, even if I subsequently sign it. My question is; If I request a change in the language of the offer itself (specifically, making the non-disparagement clause less restrictive) without asking for additional money or other tangible benefits (healthcare, etc), does that constitute a counter-offer and abrogate my right to sign and collect the original severance offer?


1 answer  |  asked Sep 28, 2006 5:22 PM [EST]  |  applies to California

Answers (1)

Janet M. Koehn
pay the man (or woman)!

your message indicates you are not willing to pay for a consultation with an attorney. this is penny wise and pound foolish, and all that. you have a great deal at stake in these negotiations, and you don't know what you're doing.

there are many skilled and experienced attorneys who have expertise in employment law in your area. you can find one at the cal employment lawyers assn's website, www.celaweb. org. you should be willing to pay the small amount (s)he will charge you that may save you a great deal of heartache later on. you may also discover that what the company is asking you to agree to, isn't even legal!
janet m. koehn

posted by Janet M. Koehn  |  Sep 28, 2006 9:17 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers