severance compensation for commissioned salespeople

I am being offered a severance package for my 18 years of service based on my salary alone. A bulk of my income came from commission. This is not being reflected in my benefits package. Do I have any right to request a more substantial package based on this type of income?

1 answer  |  asked Apr 24, 2001 7:24 PM [EST]  |  applies to Pennsylvania

Answers (1)

colleen ramage

Thank you for your inquiry. Under PA law, you do not have a legal right to receive severance payments from your employer. Unless your employer has a policy (preferably in writing) that outlines the company's formula for giving severance, there is not much you can do. Please contact me if I can be of further assistance.
Colleen E. Ramage

The above is not a legal opinion and cannot be relied upon as such. There is no attorney-client relationship by answering the posed hypothetical question, which does not have sufficient facts to render an opinion. Should you wish to get a legal opinion upon which you can rely, the only way is to hire an attorney in your local area who can get all of the facts, research the law and explain your options to you.

posted by colleen ramage  |  Apr 25, 2001 3:09 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm

more Virginia Employment Lawyers