Are there any employment and labor lawyers that offer free consultations?

My boyfriend needs an employment and labor lawyer. Because of the situation I quickly outlined in the question I asked on April 8 "Can An Employer Who Is Also Your Landlord Force You To Work For Free Or Evict You?" He's been working 9-10 hours a day, 7 days a week, for a hotel room to sleep in and 1 meal.
Not only does he not get paid for overtime, he doesn't get paid at all.
If he takes a day off he has to pay for his room. They tell him "No work, no stay." His choice is to keep working or sleep on the street.
He'd like to sue them for his minimum required pay plus overtime for the last 2 and a half years but he can't find an attorney to even do a consultation with him unless he pays up front. Not having any income at all makes this impossible. He doesn't have a dollar to his name right now and the lawyers he's called want upwards of $85 just to tell him if they'll take the case or not so my question is:
Are there any E & L attorneys that will have a consultation with him to perhaps represent him in suing his current employers??

1 answer  |  asked Apr 19, 2019 06:46 AM [EST]  |  applies to Florida

Answers (1)

Neil Klingshirn
I am an Ohio lawyer and therefore cannot speak to the pricing policies of Florida lawyers. As a general observation, though, I suggest that your boyfriend search specifically for attorneys who do "wage and hour" or overtime law. They tend to be specialized in that area and might be more inclined to speak to your boyfriend about those topics without charging a full consultation fee.

posted by Neil Klingshirn  |  Apr 19, 2019 06:52 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Contact Neil Klingshirn

Neil Klingshirn
AV rated Super Lawyer and Employment Law Specialist
Independence, OH
Phone: 216-382-2500