there has been some physical attacks & verbal threats

What can one do about a hostile environment at work? Where some co-workers have to have control and are immature in their behavior by making fun of others or making loud exessive noise to distract to those that don't want of follow.

1 answer  |  asked Apr 15, 2001 7:28 PM [EST]  |  applies to Arkansas

Answers (1)

Neil Klingshirn
Report the harassment to the employer and the harasser

Stand up to the harasser, who is the work-place equivalent of the school yard bully. Tell the harasser to stop and, if he or she does not, report the harassment to the employer. If the employer enables the harassment by ignoring it or worse, get out and explore your options for legal recovery.

Unless the harassment is directed at you because of your gender, race, age or other protected class status, or because you engaged in "protected conduct" (see FAQ article on retaliation), you may not have a legal right to recover your losses caused by leaving to avoid the harassment.



posted by Neil Klingshirn  |  Apr 19, 2001 3:22 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Contact Neil Klingshirn

Neil Klingshirn
AV rated Super Lawyer and Employment Law Specialist
Independence, OH
Phone: 216-382-2500