paid day of pain

My boyfriend cut his thumb and the nerve in his thumb on the job. They stitched it up and he has to go to a specialist to see if the nerve can be repaired. The hospital stated he could go back to work immediatley. Shouldn't he get paid for the time he has to take off for the specialist and the day he went to the hospital? thanks

1 answer  |  asked Dec 18, 2001 07:35 AM [EST]  |  applies to Ohio

Answers (1)

Neil Klingshirn
Your boyfriend can apply for workers compensation benefits for his lost time.

An employee's exclusive remedy for an injury at work is workers' compensation benefits. In order to receive benefits, your boyfriend must file a claim, called a First Report of Injury. The Industrial Commission takes it from there and provides an administrative process to determine the specific benefits to which he is entitled.

If your boyfriend's cut is a compensable claim, he can receive a portion of his lost wages, coverage for medical bills and compensation for the lost use of his finger in the future. He cannot get money for pain and suffering.

In the case of a severe injury, you should consult with an experienced workers' compensation attorney to obtain the full range of benefits available to you. Check with the bar association or telephone directory where you live.


Neil Klingshirn

posted by Neil Klingshirn  |  Dec 18, 2001 1:28 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Contact Neil Klingshirn

Neil Klingshirn
AV rated Super Lawyer and Employment Law Specialist
Independence, OH
Phone: 216-382-2500