Unpaid Salary

I worked for a consulting company based in NY as a consultant & did consulting for a client company in NY as well. I left the company because they did not pay my salary in time. They still owe me some money. How can I get my remaining unpaid salary.

1 answer  |  asked Mar 10, 2005 4:49 PM [EST]  |  applies to New York

Answers (1)

David M. Lira
Getting Paid Unpaid Salary

If you are owed no more than $625, you can go to the New York State Department of Labor.

If you are owed no more than $5,000, you can go to small claims court.

If you are owed more than $5,000, you need to sue in another New York State Court such as Supreme Court, Civil Court, City Court or District Court.

You might be entitled to attorneys' fees, if you hire an attorney, and 25% above the amount of pay due (that is, liquidated damages).

If you were consulting with me, I would screen you for unpaid overtime as well.

posted by David M. Lira  |  Mar 11, 2005 06:40 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers