Sign or be fired

I work as a night auditor at a hotel. My employer wants me to sign a paper giving them permission to deduct from my wages any amount applicable for errors that might occur when handling customer payments. The paper does not specify between mistakes made by myself, other employees or the computer system. Is this legal? Can I be forced to sign?

1 answer  |  asked Jun 26, 2007 01:11 AM [EST]  |  applies to Ohio

Answers (1)

Neil Klingshirn
Try to strike a bargain

You have a good question. I am not aware of any Ohio law or case that would provide a remedy if you were fired because you refused to authorize a payroll deduction to cover errors that you did not cause. Ohio has a wage payment law that prohibits an employer from making payroll deductions unless you provide your consent, but it is silent as to whether the employer can fire you if you refuse to provide the consent.

I suggest that you try to negotiate with your employer. Point out that it is unfair to charge you for errors that you did not cause, and that your employer will probably incur greater costs recruiting and training a new night auditor. If you are willing to give permission for deductions for errors that you cause, then say so, but consider asking for a way to verify that an error was made and that you are responsible for it.

posted by Neil Klingshirn  |  Jun 28, 2007 08:23 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Contact Neil Klingshirn

Neil Klingshirn
AV rated Super Lawyer and Employment Law Specialist
Independence, OH
Phone: 216-382-2500